Thursday, May 29, 2014

>>PWS AWARENESS MONTH - QUESTIONS

One last question to answer before the month is over....."Did you know Clover had PWS before she was born, and if so, were you hesitant on continuing with the adoption?"

I know this is something a lot of people wonder. No, we did not know that Clover would be born with PWS. We started the adoption process pretty early in the pregnancy, and signed the adoption paperwork when Clover was two days old. Clover was diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome one month later.

When people find out Clover has PWS and also that she is adopted, their next question is usually, “did you know?” And when we say “no” their entire expression changes and it’s like they feel bad for us. As if we got “stuck” with this child that has a lot of medical problems. As if we didn’t get what we bargained for.

The truth is, we got WAY MORE than we bargained for. Clover is everything and a whole bunch more than we could have ever dreamed of. Anyone who has ever met Clover knows she is something pretty spectacular.

Clover captured my heart immediately. I loved Clover before she was even born, but when I first met her, and held her for the first time, that love I had for her magnified by a million…trillion…gazillion. My heart literally overflowed with love for her. I knew she was meant for us….. I truly believe with all my heart that we needed Clover, and Clover needed us, and she needed Henry and Henry needed her. We all needed each other. Looking back, I can see how every little (and big) thing fell into place in our lives exactly like it needed to so that I was one day able to meet Clover’s birth mom….and eventually welcome Clover into our lives.

I can’t imagine my life without Clover. PWS is just something she has….it’s not who she is. It does not define her. I’m thankful every day to be blessed with her. I would adopt her over again...and again and again!

Thank you SO MUCH for all of your questions this month. Thank you for letting me flood your newsfeed with information about PWS and our family. Thank you for joining in on raising awareness and working towards a cure for Prader-Willi Syndrome. Thank you for your kind words and your love and generosity.


No comments:

Post a Comment