Monday, May 12, 2014

>>PWS AWARENESS MONTH - QUESTIONS

Today's question (from sweet Heather) is, "What benefits have you seen from switching to paleo...do you notice a difference?"

There are many different approaches families take when it comes to feeding their PWS child. In the beginning, I assumed it was all just about the calories....and that Clover would be restricted to 600-700 calories per day for the rest of her life. The thought of that devastated me.

Then as I got more involved in the PWS community, I started learning more about what others were doing and what they have found to work for their kids. I have learned that individuals with PWS typically do not do well with carbs and sugar....their bodies are not able to use them appropriately. Instead of using them for energy, their body just stores them as fat. I had heard from other parents about how well their kids were doing on low carb diets and I knew that's what I wanted to do with Clover. Also, if their carbs are restricted, they can often eat more calories....that was a big selling point for me too.

So to answer the question, yes, I have noticed a difference. When Clover eats too many carbs (which happens when I am too lazy or don't plan ahead enough and she ends up getting a sandwich for lunch or pizza or spaghetti, etc), she is more cranky, irritable and tired. This also happens if she gets too much sugar. She also seems to demand more food throughout the day.

When she is eating low carb, grain free type foods, she seems to be more alert and more like her happy, chipper self. I should also point out that while I typically call our diet "paleo" I still include dairy such as milk, cheese and yogurt. I still have a long ways to go when it comes to feeding her better. I stress over it daily....with every meal and snack. It is something that definitely does not come naturally to me as I have always been a picky, not-eat-your-veggies type of girl. I am a horrible cook (seriously, I pretty much mess up every recipe I try) and I love bread and all things carbs....so that has been tricky. However, I notice a difference in my own overall health when I try to eat like Clover. I feel better and more alert too!

As a side note, there have actually been some parents report that even though their kids are in the "hunger" phase of PWS, they seem to feel more satisfied and have less food-seeking behaviors when they stick to a very low carb, grain free, low sugar diet. Of course, every child and every situation is different, but that was very encouraging for me!



 >>Please don't take any part of this post as professional or medical advice.  Every child is different and any change in your child's diet should first be discussed with your child's doctor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment